Jacobs University is a private, state-accredited, English-language research university in Bremen. We are offering Bachelor, Master or PhD programs in three focus areas: Health, Mobility and Diversity. Our principles are first class research and teaching, international diversity and transdisciplinary cooperation. As an international university we attract highly talented and open-minded students from all over the world. Currently, more than 1,300 students from 100 nations live and study on our residential campus.
The department „Life Sciences and Chemistry“ invites interested candidates to apply for the next possible date as a
AMMOD - Full Stack Software Developer (m/f/d)
(Full-time, limited until 31. October 2022)
Job ID 19-75
The recent Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES) report confirmed that our planet experiences a rapid loss of biodiversity with dramatic consequences for mankind. Answers to scientifically and societal relevant questions can only be found based on the availability of long-term monitoring data, integrated from multiple sources. To address current challenges in this area, the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research funds the project AMMOD - Automated Multisensor Station for Monitoring of Species Diversity. The aim of AMMOD is to build “weather stations” for monitoring species diversity. These stations will include sensors for recording animal sounds and plant emissions, wildlife cameras for birds, mammals, and insects, and automated insect and pollen sample collectors, which are used for monitoring via DNA barcoding.
A key aspect of the data workflow is the automated transfer of different data types, incl. streaming data, from the AMMOD stations to the dedicated, long-term data centers for archiving and publication.
Your Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Developing and implementing a concept to organize the raw data-streams from the AMMOD stations to the dedicated data centers
- Extending and adapting the GFBio data brokerage system in cooperation with the GFBio team
- Developing and implementing a web-based data-portal for access to AMMOD data
- Work on various tasks and assignments in all areas of Frontend/Backend development, either in collaboration with other team-members or independently.
- Solid experience in software development, preferably with an object-oriented language like Python, Java or similar
- Experience in back-end development, preferably with the Django web-framework
- Basic understanding of relational database concepts and experience working with major relational database platforms such as PostgreSQL
- Experience with the following is preferable, but not required:
- Version control management with Git
- Service containerisation with Docker
- Working in a small development team following the Agile Scrum methodology
- The ability to balance multiple concurrent tasks and work well with minimal supervision
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Strong attention to detail
- An interdisciplinary working environment at an international location
- A motivated and experienced team
- State-of-the art hardware
For further information regarding this position, please contact Dr. Marc Weber, department of Life Sciences and Chemistry, via e-mail: m.weber [at] jacobs-university.de.
Please send your application stating the Job ID, your availability and your salary expectations as a PDF document via email to job-application [at] jacobs-university.de.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
We are looking for highly motivated, creative and communicative employees with a keen interest in working in an international and dynamic environment.
Jacobs University is an equal opportunity employer.