Search form

FAQ - Fees and Finances for UG


Why do I have to pay an enrolment deposit of 500€?

The enrolment deposit secures your spot at Jacobs University.

Is the enrolment deposit refundable?

We usually do not refund it but you may deduct it from one of your invoices. If you do not deduct 500€ from your first invoice, you may do so at a later time. The money will stay on your student account until you do so and does not get lost.

How much is the tuition fee for an undergraduate program at Jacobs University?

Tuition for all undergraduate programs is currently set at 20.000€ per academic year (9 months).

Are there any other fees besides the tuition fee?

Yes, undergraduate students pay 8.000€ for room and board for a 9-month period (September – May). This includes a single bedroom, a shared bathroom for two students, standard Internet and utility costs, plus three meals a day.
Additional fees, e.g. semester ticket fee and university fee, are also payable.


What kind of scholarships are available at Jacobs University?

Jacobs University is renowned for its extensive and generous scholarship program. Therefore, each applicant is automatically considered for a merit-based scholarship when they submit their application. Depending on availability, additional scholarships sponsored by external partners are also offered to highly gifted students.

Do I have to apply separately for a merit-based scholarship?

No, you do not have to apply separately. Applicants are automatically considered for a merit-based scholarship during the application process. The applicants will be informed about a possible merit-based scholarship after admission.

What other financing options are available at Jacobs University?

Besides the merit-based scholarships, Jacobs University offers tuition deferrals through our JUSTudyAtEase program and need-based financial aid. More information can be found here.

Do international students also qualify for scholarships and other financing options?

Yes, they do. We do not make any difference between German, EU and international students.

Whom should I contact for advice about financing my studies?

You can contact our Student Financial Services office at with questions about financing your studies and about the financial aid application process.

Which documents do I need to send to you to apply for need-based financial aid?

Please do not send us any documents. We will contact you by e-mail in case you are selected for verification of your financial data. A list of documents we may require from you if selected for verification can be found here .

How long does it take until I receive my individual financing offer?

You will usually receive your first financing offer within a week after your admission.
If you apply for financial aid, it may take two to four weeks to receive your second financing offer. This depends on the volume of applications we have to process at one time.

What does my financing offer include?

Your financing offer includes your expected family contribution, a merit-based scholarship (if awarded during the admissions application process) and our tuition deferral JUStudyAtEase.
Your second financing offer may include an additional grant.

What does my financing offer not cover?

It does not cover additional fees such as semester tickets, university fees and broadcasting fees.
Also, any other additional expenses, such as flight tickets, books, health insurance, further living expenses, cannot be covered. Students are expected to pay these costs themselves.

As a German student, am I eligible to apply for BAföG?

Yes, as a German student, you may apply for BAföG. Please contact the Studierendenwerk Bremen which is located on the campus of the University of Bremen.


When is the payment deadline?

There are two payment deadlines: August 1 for the fall semester and January 7 for the spring semester.
Should you receive your invoice after any of these payment deadlines, the invoice is due immediately/upon receipt.

How do I make a payment?

Please take a look here.

I need a yearly invoice in order to receive the Financial Support Letter for my visa appointment. What do I do?

Please send us an e-mail to and let us know that you require a yearly invoice. By default, we send invoices for one semester only. Therefore, yearly invoices have to be requested.

Can I work alongside my studies?

Yes. At Jacobs University, you will find a wide range of job opportunities for Student Assistants or Teaching Assistants including: research assistance, conference preparation, interviews, data analysis, literature review, assistance with the organization and management of events, administrative support, technical services support, conducting experiments, working in labs, or assistance with book processing and interlibrary loans.