Jacobs University is a private, state-accredited, English-language research university in Bremen. We are offering Bachelor, Master or PhD programs in three focus areas: Health, Mobility and Diversity. Our principles are first class research and teaching, international diversity and transdisciplinary cooperation. As an international university we attract highly talented and open-minded students from all over the world. Currently, more than 1,200 students from 100 nations live and study on our residential campus.
The department of “Life Sciences and Chemistry“ invites interested candidates to apply for the next possible date as a
PhD Candidate (m/f)
(Part-time, limited for 3 years)
Job ID JU-17-53
The project aims at testing hypotheses about the elementary protein folding mechanism. We will use designed synthetic peptides of 30 residue length to model structural elements of the native state of natural proteins. Investigative techniques include collision-induced fluorescence quenching and short-distance Förster resonance energy transfer. The project includes co-operations with Prof. Jochen Balbach (Halle, NMR) and Prof. Elisha Haas (Israel, Tel, Aviv, pressure jump instrument).
• Spectroscopic measurements on peptides in regard to structure, thermodynamics and kinetics
• Deep quantitative and qualitative analysis oft the results
• Preparation of presentations, reports, and, at a later stage, articles.
• Master´s Degree from an accredited university in physics, chemistry or biology
• interest in the protein folding problem as an interdisciplinary subject of physics, chemistry and biology
• Some experience and more curiosity in regard to scientific experimentation
• Some experience and more curiosity in regard to scientific, quantitative and argumentative, analysis.
For further information regarding this position, please contact Dr. Maik Jacob, department of Life Science and Chemistry, via phone +49 421 200-3125.
Please send your application stating the Job ID, your availability and your salary expectations as a pdf document via email to job-application [at] jacobs-university.de.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
We are looking for highly motivated, creative and communicative employees with a keen interest in working in an international and dynamic environment. Jacobs University is an equal opportunity employer.