Jacobs University is a private, state-accredited, English-language research university in Bremen. We are offering Bachelor, Master or Ph.D. programs in three focus areas: Health, Mobility and Diversity. Our principles are first-class research and teaching, international diversity and transdisciplinary cooperation. As an international university, we attract highly talented and open-minded students from all over the world. Currently, more than 1,200 students from 100 nations live and study on our residential campus.
The Focus Area Health within „Life Sciences & Chemistry“ invites interested candidates to apply as a
Postdoc in Computational Systems Biology for cocoa metabolomics (m/f)
(Full-time, limited to 2 years with a possible extension)
(Job ID 17-65-CSB)
The collaborative project COMETA (COcoa METAbolism) analyzes the precise chemical composition of cocoa beans from various origins. The overarching goal is to develop new rapid quality tests for cocoa classification, processing, and planning requirements for raw material. This project bridges cutting-edge research areas, including Microbiology, Analytical Chemistry, and Systems Biology, with direct industrial applications in a unique, highly interdisciplinary framework.
The predominant tasks of the Postdoctoral researcher will be the interpretation of high-throughput metabolomics and proteomics data, e.g., for guiding and enabling the search for suitable biomarkers. This includes the development of novel methods (e.g., for integrating lipidome data and imaging data monitoring morphology changes during fermentation) as well the application of more standard, network-based, correlation-based or enrichment-based methods of data analysis. Moreover, the Bioinformatics and Systems Biology component of the project will involve the administration of a comprehensive and permanent data management and experimental coordination system.
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Statistical analysis of various high-throughput data sets for predicting quality indicators
• Development of software tools for data integration and management
• Identification of processing chemical and metabolic markers
• University degree (Ph.D.) in Computational Systems Biology, Bioinformatics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or similar
• Good knowledge of (bio)chemistry and molecular biology
• Strong programming skills including Python and R
• Experience in statistical analysis of high-throughput data
• Experience with the Django framework and administering UNIX systems is a plus
• Ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment
• Fluency in English, both written and spoken
Successful candidates should be ideally available to begin in November 2017. For further information regarding this position, please contact Mrs. Anne Grimbs via E-Mail a.grimbs [at] jacobs-university.de or phone +49 421 200-3559.
Please send your application stating the Job ID, your availability as well as a cover letter with salary expectations, CV, contact details of two references and a short statement of research interest as a pdf document via email to a.grimbs [at] jacobs-university.de
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
We are looking for highly motivated, creative and communicative employees with a keen interest in working in an international and dynamic environment. Jacobs University is an equal opportunity employer.