Jacobs University is a private, state-accredited, English-language research university in Bremen. We are offering Bachelor, Master or PhD programs in three focus areas: Health, Mobility and Diversity. Our principles are first class research and teaching, international diversity and transdisciplinary cooperation. As an international university we attract highly talented and open-minded students from all over the world. Currently, more than 1,200 students from 100 nations live and study on our residential campus.
Run jointly by the University of Bremen and Jacobs University Bremen, the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS) is one of Germany’s leading schools of doctoral training in the social sciences, funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) as part of the Excellence Initiative of the German Government and Federal States. BIGSSS supports its doctoral and postdoctoral fellows in achieving early scientific independence and provides funds for the conduct, presentation and publishing of their research findings. The language of instruction is English.
BIGSSS’ Thematic Field C: “Changing Lives in Changing Socio-Cultural Contexts” invites interested candidates to apply for the next possible date as a
Postdoctoral Fellow in BIGSSS Field C (m/f)
(Full-time, initially limited until December 31st, 2018)
(Job ID 17-66-Postdoc BIGSSS)
The BIGSSS postdoc program provides postdocs with the opportunity, resources, and support to:
- Present their research at international conferences and build up international networks;
- Disseminate their research findings in scientific publication outlets;
- Write grant proposals;
- Organize conferences or workshops;
- Teach and supervise;
- Participate in transferable skills training (e.g., didactics, media, career) and establish a mentoring relationship with senior faculty.
The postdoctoral position is paid in line with payment regulations of German Research Foundation (Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft, DFG) and funded until 31. Dec. 2018, with a possibility to be prolonged to an overall duration of 24 months.
BIGSSS expects their postdocs to:
- Support the BIGSSS PhD-fellows (discussion, mentoring, supervision);
- Actively participate in BIGSSS courses (doctoral colloquium, lecture series) as well as academic and social events;
- Produce a significant scientific output (e.g. publish a journal article or book, write a grant proposal, or organize a conference or workshop).
- PhD degree in psychology, sociology, political science, or a related social science discipline;
- Responsible, self-motivated, able to work independently and in teams;
- Fluent in English, the language of instruction and communication at BIGSSS; possessing excellent working knowledge of German is an asset;
- Ideally successful candidates should be available to begin immediately;
- Applicants need to have submitted their PhD thesis prior to commencing their postdoctoral position.
We seek candidates with innovative, interdisciplinary research topics who are interested in the interplay of individual attitudes, capabilities, and behavior with changing demographics, cultures, and institutions.
For further information regarding this position, please contact Prof. Klaus Boehnke, Vice Dean of the Bremen International Graduate School of Social Sciences (BIGSSS), at k.boehnke [at] jacobs-university.de. For further information, please see www.jacobs-university.de and www.bigsss-bremen.de.
Applicants should include a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae and publication record, research or publication plan for the advertised position, two samples of publications, copies of certificates and diplomas, certification of English proficiency (optional) and the names and addresses of two referees).
Please send your application stating the Job ID and your availability as a pdf document via email to k.boehnke [at] jacobs-university.de. The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Our ambition is to boost young careers, and thus, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from these researchers. Female scholars are particularly encouraged to apply for this position. We are looking for highly motivated, creative and communicative employees with a keen interest in working in an international and dynamic environment. Jacobs University is an equal opportunity employer.