Jacobs University is a private, state-accredited, English-language research university in Bremen. We are offering PreDegree, Bachelor, Master or PhD programs in three focus areas: Health, Mobility and Diversity and are involved in the professional development of specialists and managers and in the transfer of knowledge. Our principles are first class research and teaching, international diversity and transdisciplinary cooperation. As an international university we attract highly talented and open-minded students from all over the world. Currently, more than 1,400 students from 110 nations live and study on our residential campus.
The department „Physics and Earth Sciences” invites interested candidates to apply for the next possible date as a
Postdoctoral Researcher in University Didactics in Physics (m/f/diverse)
(Full-time, limited for 18 months)
Job ID 19-61
Coming from different countries, cultural background and educational systems, students differ widely in their prior knowledge for first-year physics courses. In this project, physics instructors together with learning researchers address that challenge by personalizing learning with learning platforms adaptive to students’ individual learning needs.
Platform development will be based on a three-level model of cognitive, metacognitive, and motivational aspects of students’ solution strategies in practice tasks. Mastering fundamental physics concepts and methods defined as intended learning outcomes (ILO) will be used to track students’ support needs in the practice tasks, e.g. home works, and to give situation-specific assistance.
- Designing and implementing personalized learning support and testing students in first-year physics courses in close collaboration with physics instructors.
- Implementing a digital learning platform (Moodle-based) for adaptive learning.
- Setting up a problem pool for first-year physics courses along intended learning outcomes in physics.
- Analyzing results in collaboration with learning researchers from cognitive psychology.
- BSc in Physics and PhD (or equivalent qualification) in Physics or closely related fields.
- Programming skills and Moodle experience will be assets.
- Some experience and strong interest in university didactics.
- Openness to cognitive psychological modeling.
- Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team of physicists and learning researchers.
Please send your application stating the Job ID as a single pdf document to Professor Jürgen Fritz via e-mail (j.fritz [at] jacobs-university.de). Please include a cover letter with your CV (with publication list) and contact details of two references, and state your availability.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Jacobs University is an equal opportunity employer.