Jacobs University is a private, state-accredited, English-language research university in Bremen. We are offering Bachelor, Master or PhD programs in three focus areas: Health, Mobility and Diversity. Our principles are first class research and teaching, international diversity and transdisciplinary cooperation. As an international university we attract highly talented and open-minded students from all over the world. Currently, more than 1,200 students from 100 nations live and study on our residential campus.
The department „Campus Life“ invites interested candidates to apply for the next possible date as a
Resident Associate (RA) for one of our Residential Colleges (m/f)
Job ID JU-17-43
The Residential Colleges are home to students from a multitude of different nationalities and represent a wonderful mix of cultures, languages, and religions.
RAs are responsible Jacobs PhD students who live in the college to support residential life in many ways. RAs help represent colleges at university events, and support the Resident Mentor of the college they are resident and the College Office Team in making their College a great place to live in. RAs also work across colleges with the other Resident Mentors to help provide support to students in need or in crisis situations.
RAs help organize social events, are integrated into the student community, and function as a role model for students. They act as an everyday point of contact and should be communicative and easily approachable by students. The ideal candidate needs to be an enthusiastic and committed person who strives to make a difference in students' lives and is willing and able to live and work in the college community with its residents day and night. This position is as challenging as it is rewarding and requires great flexibility.
- Live full-time in an apartment in the college
- Be ‘on call’ for a week in regular rotation with the other college RAs. During the on call week RAS need to carry a duty phone 24/7 to be able to respond to students in need or crisis situations.
- Make nightly patrols through the college during their on duty week shifts
- Enforce college house rules as well as protect and preserve college traditions
- Participate in college team and floor representative meetings
- Participate in training sessions to develop residential support skills
- Support the organization of college events in conjunction with other RAs, the office team, and floor representative
- Only PhD students of Jacobs University Bremen are eligible to apply.
- Applicants are required to have a valid first-aid certificate or acquire one within the first three months of their RA term.
- RAs receive a taxable monthly salary from which to cover the expenses of renting the RA apartments as required by the position. PhD Candidates with stipends should inform themselves about how this income might affect their particular financial situation before applying.
Interested candidates are encouraged to contact our current RAs to learn more about living on campus and life. Just visit the various colleges to find out who is who and get a sense of the spirit and college ‘families’!
Applicants must send a motivation letter, CV, and a recommendation letter from the thesis supervisor to job-application [at] jacobs-university.de. Applications will be reviewed, shortlisted, and then potential candidates interviewed by a committee of one current RA, the Resident Mentor, and one College Office Team representative, with final approval by the Head of Campus Life and Human Resources department.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
We are looking for highly motivated, creative and communicative employees with a keen interest in working in an international and dynamic environment. Jacobs University is an equal opportunity employer.