Search form

Usage of German Certificates Abroad

German certificates are generally recognized abroad. However, sometimes you may be asked to provide a proof of their authenticity. You can do that in two main ways: Legalization and Apostille.



The legalization is done by the embassy of the foreign country in Germany and it ascertains the authenticity of the seal on the certificate.



The apostille substitutes the legalization procedure. It applies to the countries that have signed the Haag Treaty as of October 5, 1961. The certificate with the Apostille attached is thus usable in the foreign country. If a country has not signed the Haag Treaty, the certificate must be legalized in the embassy of the country in Germany.

For the list of countries of the Haag Treaty, please click here.

In Bremen the apostille is issued by the Senator für Inneres und Sport. Before they do it however, your certificate needs to be pre-legalized by the Senator für Bildung und Wissenschaft. This is done by:

Mrs. Czarnecki at Uni Bremen
SFG, Room 0290 A
czarnecki [at]
Phone: + 49 421 21860366
Fax: +49 421 200 49 4228
Monday and Thursday: 09:00 to 12:00
Wednesday: 14:00 to 16:00
Costs: 15 € per certificate (CASH only)

After pre-legalizing it, please turn to the Senator für Inneres und Sport

Senator für Inneres und Sport
Conterscarpe 22/24
28203 Bremen
Mo-Fri: 09:00 – 12:00
Phone: +49 421 361 90-11 or -25
Fees: The fee for the issue of the apostil is 15 € for each document, which is (if physically present) to be paid in cash.

The apostille could be requested by mail as well. In this case please inform for which country is the apostil/document. Please provide a post-paid envelope with your address as well. The fee is payable by bank transfer.
The address for mail requests:
Senator für Inneres und Sport
Conterscarpe 22/24
28203 Bremen

Need assistance?