Submission of the PhD Thesis
The PhD Thesis is submitted at the end of the third year of enrollment. However, an extension of studies is possible upon approval by the Dean. The application form for extension of graduate studies can be downloaded here.
The general regulations about the PhD Thesis at Jacobs University Bremen are as follows:
- must be written in English
- must include a title page that informs about the University granting the Degree, the title of Thesis and the names of the Reviewers
- it needs to contain an English summary
- it also needs to contain a declaration by the PhD Student that this has been written independently and has not been submitted at another University for the conferral of a Degree.
Formatting of the PhD Thesis (single-sided, double-sided, size, font, etc) is discussed and approved by the Chair. For the review of the thesis, spiral-bining is okay, for the publication - only non-spiral binding is accepted.
The general regulations about the PhD Thesis Submission at Jacobs University Bremen are as follows:
- All the above regulations must be fulfilled
- The following number copies are submitted to the Student Records Office:
- one hard copy per Member of the Dissertation Committee
- one hard copy for the Student Records Office
- one hard copy for the Dean’s Office
- one hard copy for display in the Information Resource Center
- If your PhD Thesis contains papers/manuscripts that others have contributed to as co-authors, please submit a signed statement on contribution that includes a percentage and a short description of your contribution to each chapter of the Thesis. Please submit one hard copy per Dissertation Committee member, one copy for the IRC and one for the Student Records Office.
- Please keep in mind to inform the Student Records Office electronically via registrar [at] jacobs-university.de to which physical address the hard copies should be sent to - this applies to internal reviewers (Research Building and room number or postal address) as well as to external reviewers. In addition, please include the email addresses of your external reviewers.
The PhD Thesis Evaluation must be submitted by the chair, at least one further internal committee member and at least one external committee member at least 6 working days before the PhD Thesis Defense.